History and Philosophy of Physics, Philosophy of Science, Metaphysics of Science
Dennis Lehmkuhl's work focuses on the history and philosophy of physics, specifically of theories of gravity and spacetime. He has worked on Einstein's interpretation of general relativity and other spacetime theories, and on the question of how his positions square with the modern debates in the foundations of spacetime theories. He is particularly interested in the analysis and interpretation of black hole physics and gravitational wave physics.
Lehmkuhl graduated with a DPhil from the University of Oxford in 2010, after graduate studies at Imperial College London, the London School of Economics and the University of Hamburg. Before joining Caltech, Lehmkuhl had been a Departmental Lecturer at the University of Oxford, a Junior Professor at the University of Wuppertal in Germany, and a visiting fellow at the Center of Philosophy of Science at the University of Pittsburgh.
- `Einstein's Principles. On the Interpretation of Spacetime Theories'. Under Contract with Oxford University Press; in preparation.
Edited books and special issues
- `The Collected Papers of Albert Einstein, Volume 15. The Berlin Years: June 1925 - April 1927' with Diana Kormos Buchwald, Ze'ev Rosenkranz, József Illy, Anne Kox (eds.); Daniel J. Kennefick, A.J. Kox, Michel Janssen, Tony Duncan (assoc. eds.). Forthcoming with Princeton University Press, 2018. Introduction available online at https://arxiv.org/abs/1803.10662
- `Towards a Theory of Spacetime Theories´ (with Gregor Schiemann and Erhard Scholz). Einstein Studies, Birkäuser/Springer, 2017.
- Special Issue on `Particle Physics after the Higgs Discovery' (with Simon Friederich), in: Studies in the History and Philosophy of Physics, Volume 51, August 2015.
- `The Collected Papers of Albert Einstein, Volume 14. The Berlin Years: April 1923 - June 1925' with Diana Kormos Buchwald, Ze'ev Rosenkranz, Tilman Sauer, József Illy, (eds.); Daniel J. Kennefick, A.J. Kox and Osik Moses (assoc. eds.). Princeton University Press, 2015.
- `The Collected Papers of Albert Einstein, Volume 13. The Berlin Years: January 1922 – March 1923' with Diana Kormos Buchwald, Ze'ev Rosenkranz, Tilman Sauer, József Illy, (eds.); Daniel J. Kennefick, A.J. Kox and Osik Moses (assoc. eds.). Princeton University Press, 2012.
- `Hermann Minkowski's ``Space and Time´´(Translation). In: Vesselin Petkov (editor): `Minkowski Spacetime: A Hundred Years later´. Springer, 2010.
- `Two Miracles of General Relativity'. With James Read and Harvey Brown. Forthcoming in Studies in History and Philosophy of Modern Physics.
- `The Equivalence Principle(s)'. Forthcoming in The Routledge Companion to Philosophy of Physics, edited by E. Knox and A. Wilson, Routledge 2018.
- `General Relativity as a Hybrid theory: The Genesis of Einstein's work on the Problem of Motion'. Forthcoming in Studies in History and Philosophy of Modern Physics. Available online at http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1355219817301314 and as a preprint at https://arxiv.org/abs/1803.09872
- `The Metaphysics of Super-Substantivalism'. Nous, Volume 52, Issue 1, pp. 24-46. Available online at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/nous.12163/abstract
- `Literal vs Careful Interpretations of Scientific Theories: the Vacuum Approach to the Problem of Motion in General Relativity'. Philosophy of Science, Volume 84, Issue 5, December 2017. Extended preprint at http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/12461/
- `The Metaphysics of Super-Substantivalism' Forthcoming in Nous. Available online at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/nous.12163/abstract
- `Introduction: Towards a Theory of Spacetime Theories'. In: Lehmkuhl, Scholz, Schiemann (eds.): `Towards a Theory of Spacetime Theories´. Einstein Studies, Birkäuser, 2017.
- `Einstein, the Reality of Space, and the Action-Reaction Principle' (with Harvey Brown), in The Nature of Reality, ed. Partha Ghose, Routledge, 2017. Preprint: http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/id/eprint/9792.
- `Particle Physics and the Higgs discovery: Philosophical Perspectives' (with Simon Friederich). Studies in History and Philosophy of Physics, Volume 51, August 2015, pp. 69-70.
- `Why Einstein did not believe that General Relativity geometrizes gravity.' Studies in History and Philosophy of Modern Physics, Volume 46, May 2014, pp. 316-326.
- `Time in Spacetimes.' Philosophia Naturalis, Volume 49, No. 2, December 2012.
- `Mass-Energy-Momentum. Only there because of Spacetime?' The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, Volume 62, No. 3, 2011. pp. 454-488.
- `Super-Substanzialismus in der Philosophie der Raumzeit´ In: Michael Esfeld (ed.): Philosophie der Physik. Suhrkamp 2011.
- `Matter(s) in Relativity Theory'. In: Dorato, M., Rédei, M. and Suárez, M. (eds): Philosophical Issues in the Sciences: Launch of the European Philosophy of Science Association. Springer, 2010.
- `Is spacetime a gravitational field?' In: Dennis Dieks, `The Ontology of Spacetime II.' Series: Philosophy and Foundations of Physics, Elsevier Science, 2008