HSS Home  /  Undergraduate Studies  /  Beyond the Classroom  /  Japan Internship Program  /  Frequently Asked Questions



Students spend 10 weeks in Japan doing an internship at companies in Japan. They will have a chance to experience corporate research, advance their language skills and experience the culture firsthand.

Chemical Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Information & Data Science, Mechanical Engineering, and Physics.

JIP is offered as a summer internship program, and internships last at least 10 weeks (mid June through end of August / early September).

It can be more but cannot be less than 10 weeks. If students would like to work for more than 10 weeks, they must get an approval from their host company, must come back to Pasadena in time to attend Fall Quarter at Caltech, and cannot overstay the visa.

JIP is open to all Caltech students who will be returning to Caltech for the following year. However, it is most suitable for sophomores and juniors. Graduate students must get a written approval from their advisors and a letter of recommendation from the Dean of Graduate Studies on the official Caltech letterhead to participate.

There is no language requirement. However, it is strongly recommended that students have at least a year of instructions at Caltech or equivalent.

The average compensation to the intern is paid room and board, meals, transportation between your host company and dormitory (commute), and approximately 100,000 yen per month.


Application process starts in early October, right after the Fall Quarter begins. Interested students are encouraged to attend Information Seminar, held usually on first or second week of October. Interested students apply through HSS by mid October. All applicants will be interviewed in late October or early November. After the interview, students will be notified whether they have been accepted to the program.

Students are considered "fully committed" after accepting an offer from a company by submitting a letter accepting the offer. At the same time, students will also sign a contract with the JIP, stating that they are fully committed to the program.

No. Exceptions are medical situations, family emergencies, and other unavoidable circumstances that prevent students from participating. Violation of the contract is punishable by Caltech's Honor Code.


Yes. All host companies require students to submit a proof of enrollment.

Check with your provider. If your provider does not provide the service while you are in Japan, or if you are not satisfied with the coverage offered by your current provider for overseas, purchase travel insurance. You can purchase travel insurance online or through travel agencies. (Note: For the best coverage, travel insurance should be purchased right after purchasing your airplane ticket, usually within 14 days of purchasing the airplane ticket. Check with the provider of your choice for more details.)

This is up to the students. However, Japanese government urges all tourists traveling to Japan to purchase travel insurance due to rising cost of medical costs. Unpaid medical bills by foreign tourists is a big problem in Japan.


Citizens of Japan and the United States are not required to apply for a Visa. Please inquire if you hold other citizenship.

No. They do not need to apply for a visa to enter Japan. They need to use their Japanese passport to enter Japan. Note: Per Japanese law, persons with Japanese citizenship (passport) must enter Japan using the Japanese passport; cannot use the other country's passport to enter Japan.

For more information, please check with appropriate authorities.

This page provides students with answers to frequently asked questions about the Japan Internship Program.
If you have additional questions, please contact Program Coordinator Dr. Ritsuko Hirai.