Colin F. Camerer
Robert Kirby Professor of Behavioral Economics; T&C Chen Center for Social and Decision Neuroscience Leadership Chair; Director, T&C Chen Center for Social and Decision Neuroscience
Colin F. Camerer is a behavioral economist. With the goal of improving the economic analysis of decisions, games, and markets, he uses methods from psychology and neuroscience, including eye-tracking, lesion patients, EEG, fMRI, wearable sensors, machine learning, and animal behavior. His recent research has focused on visual salience and habits.
Camerer received his BA in quantitative studies from Johns Hopkins University, and he holds an MBA in finance and a PhD in decision theory both from the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business. Before coming to Caltech in 1994, he was a faculty member at the University of Chicago GSB (1991–1994), the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania (1983–1991), and the Kellogg Graduate School of Business at Northwestern University (1981–1983). He has held visiting professorships at Oxford University (2014–15) and Caltech (1987), and, since 2016, he has been a visiting fellow at the Wharton Neuroscience Initiative.
He is a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, a fellow of the Econometric Society, and a fellow of the Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory. Camerer was president of the Society for Neuroeconomics from 2005 to 2006 and president of the Economic Science Association from 2001 to 2003, and he has served on many editorial boards. Since 2007, he has been a chair of the Russell Sage Foundation Behavioral Economics Roundtable. He has one patent accepted on "Active Learning Decision Engines." Camerer was named a MacArthur Fellow in 2013, and he received an honorary doctorate from the Stockholm School of Economics in 2019.
- MacArthur Fellowship 2013
- Honorary Doctorate, Stockholm School of Economics 2019
- Caltech Brain Imaging Center (CBIC)
- T&C Chen Center for Social and Decision Neuroscience
- The Ronald and Maxine Linde Institute of Economic and Management Sciences
- Center for Theoretical and Experimental Social Sciences (CTESS)
- Computation and Neural Systems, program organized jointly by the Division of Biology and Biological Engineering and the Division of Physics, Mathematics and Astronomy.
- Wharton Neuroscience Initiative Fellow, 2016–present