JIP Participation Prerequisites (all students)
- Be a current Caltech undergraduate or graduate students who will return to Caltech the following year
- Ideally sophomores and juniors
- Have an outstanding academic background
- Have basic Japanese language capability
- Approximately two years of Japanese courses at Caltech or equivalent
JIP Application Process and Forms
1. Preliminary Application // Deadline: Friday, October 20, 2017
(a) Preliminary application form (available here), complete it, and submit via email or print
2. Supplemental Materials // Deadline: Friday, October 27, 2017
(b) Resume (with your birth date and nationality)
(c) Transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
(d) List of classes taken to date at Caltech, including current (and future) for this school year. Please include course number/name and when it was taken. Example: En 118 - Classical Mythology - Spring 2016
(e) Recommendation letter from an advisor
Graduate Students Only:
(a) Japanese language requirement may be waived
(b) An advisor's agreement (allowing your participation in the program) must be submitted as an application to the program
(c) Obtain a letter of recommendation from the Dean of Graduate Studies on official letterhead
Submit application packet and recommendation letter to email@example.com or mail to:
We strongly recommend you start working on your resume immediately.
- The Career Development Center is available to review your resumes.
- Check their website (https://www.career.caltech.edu/) to see the current walk-in counseling hours.
- Draft your resume, then go to the CDC.
- Staff members will provide you with feedback and finishing touches.
Download your Unofficial Transcript online through REGIS
List of classes taken at Caltech, including those you plan to take through spring 2018
- Include your name and option at the top of the page.
- List all classes you've taken at Caltech to date (include your current classes).
- Also include what you expect to enroll in for the remainder of the year - Winter/Spring 2018 (we understand plans may change).
Recommendation letter from an advisor
- Ask your advisor if they are able to write you a letter of recommendation.
- Make sure to give your advisor at least two weeks' notice before the deadline.
- Recommendations are important—if you wait until the last minute to ask for one, your advisor might be disgruntled while writing it, which won't work in your favor.
3. Campus Interviews: Late October to Early November
Caltech faculty and staff interview students to select the participants.
4. Interns' resumes, including list of courses, are sent to companies in Japan: November
5. Internship positions are offered to students: December / January
a. Once you are offered a summer internship position, you will send a letter to your host company to accept the offer. Please note: Students cannot withdraw from JIP after sending their acceptance letter.
b. Apply for passport. [If you already have one, please check that it will be valid through December 2018.]
c. Apply for visa [Details will be given at meetings.]
d. Finally, you should contact your host company to prepare for the internship, summer research projects, and upcoming travel.